Since the world supply is sustainable, for now, I encourage you all to try out this seriously simple recipe and indulge in something that is both ridiculously delicious and (mildly) healthy… Pecan pies can be done multiple ways – with chocolate crust, sweet dough, add some melted chocolate to your filling… – have fun with it, and this is one of the recipes that no matter how you tinker, it is just always SO good!
Pecan Pie Recipe
Sweet Pastry Crust Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups (195 grams) all purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) granulated white sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
Pecan Pie Filling Recipe
- 280 g brown sugar
- 10 g cornstarch
- 375 ml cornsyrup
- 43 g melted butter
- 4 eggs
- 5 ml vanilla extract
- 37 g graham crumbs
- 150 g pecans, toasted
*to toast nuts, place on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake in the oven for about 10 minutes, unti fragrant. This enhances the flavour in the pie, although it is not a necessary step.
To make your Pecan Pie dough
1. In a separate bowl, sift or whisk together the flour and salt. Place the butter in your mixer and beat until softened. Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Gradually add the beaten egg, beating just until incorporated. Add the flour mixture all at once and mix just until it forms a ball.
Also Try: Chocolate Pecan Pie Recipe
(Do not over mix or the pastry will be hard when baked.) Flatten the pastry into a disk, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 20 minutes or until firm.
2. Have ready an 8 – 9 inch (20 – 23 cm) tart pan with removable bottom. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry into an 11 – 12 inch (28 – 30 cm) circle that is about 1/8 inch (3 mm) thick. To prevent the pastry from sticking to the counter and to ensure uniform thickness, keep lifting up and turning the pastry a quarter turn as you roll (always roll from the center of the pastry outwards to get uniform thickness).
To make sure it is the right size, take your tart pan, flip it over, and place it on the rolled out pastry. The pastry should be about an inch larger than pan. When the pastry is rolled to the desired size, lightly roll pastry around your rolling pin, dusting off any excess flour as you roll. Unroll onto top of tart pan.
Never pull pastry or you will get shrinkage (shrinkage is caused by too much pulling of the pastry when placing it in the pan). Gently lay in pan and with a small floured piece of pastry, lightly press pastry into bottom and up sides of pan. Roll your rolling pin over top of pan to get rid of excess pastry.
Prick bottom of dough (this will prevent the dough from puffing up as it bakes). Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes to chill the butter and to rest the gluten
To make Pecan Pie Filling
3. In your stand mixer with the paddle attachement, cream together the brown sugar, constarch and corn syrup and blend well on medium speed. Scrape down bowl.
4. Add melted butter and blend well. Add eggs and vanilla and blend until mixture is smooth.
5. Sprinkle your graham crumbs in the base of your prepared pie plate. This helps keep the base of the pie from getting soggy from all that pecan goodness. Fill with your nuts and cover with your corn syrup mixture until almost filled.
Also Try: Chocolate Panna Cotta Recipe
Bake at 350 degrees F for 45-60 minutes. Cool on a wire rack and wait, just a minute maybe to snap a picture of your masterpiece, and dig in!